Friday, July 15, 2011

How did I get this far in life?

I had a good education growing up.  I attended good schools, my parents taught me things at home, and I went on to get Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from a local university.  However, I realized that I do not know a lot of basic information about the country that I live in.  All of this thanks to a little show on the History channel called How The States Got Their Shapes.  If you haven’t watched this show before, do it, it’s great!  Anyway, the show is basically all about the history of our country and all the states.  They ask these basic questions that I apparently never know the answers to.  Like where was America’s first oil well?  I thought I knew this…Texas..nope, WRONG….Pennsylvania.  Okay..maybe that was a fluke, where was the Nation’s first gold rush?  Okay California, maybe Oregon..nope, WRONG AGAIN, it’s North Carolina…North Carolina!!  I would never have gotten that one right!  I kept telling myself that it was only those few questions, but I’ve seen maybe 7 or so episodes and it happens to me every time.  The only reason I don’t hate myself after each episode is because my husband, who is also well educated and always seems to know everything about everything, gets a lot of them wrong too.    Thank goodness we paid tens of thousands of dollars on our education to be taught this information off our cable TV.  God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment