Friday, July 22, 2011

Am I old already??

I am only 28.  I still feel young, and I hope that I even still look young.  But apparently I am getting old.  There have been kids out all over the roads in the student driver cars, is it me, or do they all look about 10 years old??  It scares me, not only because it makes me feel older, but also because it just doesn’t seem safe that they are driving.  I know when I was growing up; I couldn’t wait to get my license at 16.  If I was honest then (which I wouldn’t have been…I was 16), I would have said I wasn’t ready to drive.  Looking back on it now, I KNOW I wasn’t ready to drive.  I did it obviously, but there were many near miss incidents, and a lot of goofing off with my friends.  Now looking at the kids out there driving with cell phones and the texting, it sure doesn’t seem any safer than when I was growing up.  I know I would make all the kids so upset by saying this, but I definitely think they should change the driving age to 18.  They are legal adults at 18, so why not?  At least in myself, I know there was a dramatic difference in my personality/responsibility level between the ages of 16 and 18.  I think we would see a lot less accidents.  It breaks my heart when the spring/summer season rolls around every year; the news is just flooded with teens that are in car accidents.  I think that banning texting while driving helped, but I really hope the age changes before my girls get there.  I realize I sound like an overprotective old lady.  Someone please do a study on the difference between drivers starting at 18 instead of 16 and prove me right.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment